




Horse was a favorite game of my childhood. Unlike basketball, one could be competitive without a lot of hustling skills. You just need one dang good shot. Share you memories of the game pictured or other games from growing up. Maybe we should plan a few games this Christmas.
7 comments:
HaHa im first. take that becca and darren. but i have a big headach and im going to go to bed and write the real somment later.
Yeah, horse was always pretty fun, and It was awesome to see Grandma and Weezie playing. The game I remeber the most was wall ball. I don't really remember what the point was, I just know that at some point someone would have to stand by the garage and someone else would thraw a ball at them. I think it kind of hurt to. I also remembe lots of running to the end of the driveway, I don't know if that was just to escape, or actually part of the game. We played it a lot, so it must have been fun!
Preston, your comment does not count, you did not even respond to the question! I guess that means I am first again......
H-O-R-S-E was pretty fun but we spent more time playing Around the World and Lightning. Lighting is the game we were playing in the picture where everyone lines up with two basketballs and makes free throws. If the player behind you in line makes his shot before you, you are out.
There was a fun basketball game I can't quite remember. I think we called it Dynamite. At some point a player runs to the garage with the basketball while all other players run in the opposite direction. Once the first player reaches the garage all other players must freeze where they stand. Then the first player rolls the basketball toward another player. If the ball hits them they are out. I kind of remember having an order of shooters and needing to catch the ball after one bounce when it was your turn. Darren can you help me put the rest of this game together?
Rebecca, you are remembering Butt Ball. This was very popular at Columbia Middle School before school started. In this game you would throw a racquetball or tennis ball against a wall or the garage. It had to bounce once then be caught by a player. If a player mishandled or dropped the ball he had to run to the wall or garage before another player threw the ball at the garage. If it did not make it in time he had to stand facing the wall and let the player that got him out peg him in the butt with the ball. The challenge for kids was that if you threw the ball too hard you were likely to miss your target. We played this game a lot with Sarah and Scott Hudson on our garage door.
ok so im finally over my headach. i do remember these games alot. i remember the game that the pictures show with us playing with grandma. christian was wearing my sweatshirt. butball was a favorite at school but at home is was all about playing around the world and poisen. i was never really that good at any of them, that was darrens realm. It wasent untill my mission that i got better at basketball and football. but now my game is frisbee.
We had lots of games to play in front of the house with the neighborhood kids. Horse was good but we usually played Poison. I think that is the games Christian is calling Dynamite. I kind of remember a game called Dynamite but not really sure if it was the same game or not.
I remember all the same games everyone else does. Butt ball, Lightning, and around the world. All were tons of fun.
I was on my mission when I saw these pictures of the family playing horse (or lightning). I can say it was a very "trunky" moment for me. Remembering these games has got me in the mood to play some of them. I am going to see what we can put together for Christmas this year.
Can I just say... as an elementary school teacher... that the game of horse is just inappropriate. It teaches kids words like ho and hor. Do you want your kids learning words like that? Or do you want them to be that... if they miss a basket? No, I don't think so. I propose that we change the game to a more child-friendly name like "cat" or "dog". Or maybe even "happiness". And while you may be thinking right now that my comment is even more inappropriate than the game "horse", you can blame Christian for that. Because he made me do it.
Post a Comment