Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sprained Ankles


Our family may have a record for sprained ankles. Have all of you had sprains? How many? How did you get yours? Who has had the most interesting treatment for a sprain?

14 comments:

Sharon said...

I've always considered the sprained ankle to be a genetic defect coming from the Jones side of the family. After all, Dad does have a lengthy history of sprains. He can even sprain his ankle walking on a perfectly flat surface. That was my opinion until this week when I sprained my ankle and didn't even realize I'd done it. My ankle just hurt. After resting, elevating, icing, and Advil it's about better. Guess we'll both take ankle braces with us to Italy. Who knows, even the might Reed genes can fail.

Sharon said...

Can you identify the ankle in this picture?

Presto said...

I would say that ankle pic is of becca. but i to am not pleased with the Jones gene for spraned ankles. ive sprained mine twice and both were my right ankle. the first was from hopping of a sidewalk onto a road an the other was landing with to much pressure on the ankle when i caught a particualarly awesome frisbee for a point last summer. both times put me out of sports for a month or so and that was what i was all about during both times. but now i do wear me brace whenever possible and it does help me feel better and more confident in my abilities. what i do now for futre prevention of passing on this defect is find a strong legged woman and i pray that the children have better luck than we did.

Christian said...

I have had one really bad sprain. It was over the summer when I was working at HD Net and Colorado Studios. I sprained my ankle jumping on the trampoline with Preston and his friends. I was simply jumping along the side of the tramp and on one bounce I came down and landed on my ankle instead of my foot. It hurt. It really hurt. I ended up in a boot cast the entire summer. I thought it would never heal. The next year at BYU I sprained it again playing football. After about another year with it feeling like it could sprain at any given moment I think it healed completely. I have not thought about it since.

Christian said...

I would say the picture is Preston. It looks like red leg hair and skinny legs.

Emily Jones said...

I sprained my ankle on my very first date. During the day part of the date, my date tried to bounce me really high and as I came down, my ankle rolled under me. All I could do was shout “ouch, ouch, ouch,” over and over again. It was a day I’d been looking forward to my entire life. I’d spent almost $200 on my dress! So nothing could stop me from going to the dance… even if I had to wear crutches. I couldn’t appreciate it at the time, but looking back I’m glad it happened. I got a lot of sympathy and it made for a good story. Since then, I sprained my ankles about 3-4 times. The main problem in my family is bad knees. Just about everyone in my family has dislocated a knee and had to have knee surgery. So our kid’s will have a lot to look forward to. Terrible genes on both sides! How wonderful!

Rebecca said...

I had not really been afflicted with horrible sprains untill this year, sure I rolled my ankle every now and again, but that was just expected. This year, winter time, the snow was perfect and I was determined to learn to snowboard. In one of my more spectacular falls, the bindings for my right foot completely twisted around and sprained my ankle pretty bad. I just wrapped it up and went on with life untill......... Midway through the third to last game of my lacrosse season, we had no subtitutes, and while coming arond from behind the goal to shoot and score (I scored more than double the rest of my team combined), my right foot got caught in one of the many divits in the feild and I was down. End of my season, and I too wore a boot, used crutches, and even got I little vicodin, I know why mom liked it so much. It has been several months simcce that fateful morning and my right ankle still hurts sometimes and is still larger than my left. Bummer.

Rebecca said...

By the by, that is totally Preston's ankle.

Darren said...

Luckly I have escaped the major ankle sprains. Unfortuatly I have retarded knees. If I go running my knees will eventually tighten up and be quite painfull. I blaim bike accidents for the bad knees but who knows.

I remember seeing Dad spraining his ankle twice. Once I think he went shopping on Sunday and when he walked in the front door he fell and the groceries went everywhere. The second was at scout day camp walking down a hill. Dad mostly slid down the hill after an ankle incident. Thats how I remember it anyway.

Another vote for Preston.

Presto said...

after further analaysis, yes that muct be my ankle. i believe that was from either the first story in my entry or it could have been from when i ran into a open door and got the door jammed inbetween my pinky and second toe.that was another almost fatal injury.

Sharon said...

I'm having fun hearing the guesses for the owner of the ankle. Stay tuned for the answer after we get a few more people in.

Harold said...

I was playing church basketball my senior year of high school in Yuma Arizona and 30 seconds into the game I came down badly on my ankle and it popped. It immediately hurt and became swollen. Amazingly, it healed quickly and I played the next weekend. I have since sprained my ankle bringing in groceries and sprayed the bags of groceries around the living room floor. I have sprained my ankle jumping down from the back yard fence. I have sprained my ankle walking in the parking lot. I have sprained my ankle playing basketball, racquetball, running, and walking over lumpy or flat ground. I have yet to sprain it in a reclining chair but that too could happen. Since I have started walking up the stairs at work, I have had stronger ankles and been more successful with healthy ankles.

The featured ankle appears to be Becca's.

Harold said...

After further review and investigation I think the ankle is Preston's.

Kaylene said...

I've only sprained my ankle twice I think. I have a picture of it swollen and gross looking. That one happened at girls camp, and it actually wasn't sprained. I decided to dump the pot of boiling water on my foot. I don't know why or how i did it, but that is what happened.