Sunday, August 10, 2008

"The Perms" and other Hair Adventures


13 comments:

Sharon said...

It was the summer of 1993. We were in Idaho. That year it seemed all the male cousins had gotten perms. Even Uncle Steve did. It was undoubtedly the style in Idaho that year. Christian and Darren decided to get perms too. I think they had it done at Grandma Reed's beautician, Luaine, who had a little shop just off the road into Ririe.

Rebecca said...

Yeah, I obviosly do not actally remember that trip, I wasn't even three yet. However, I have always enjoyed the pictures in the christmas stockings of Christian and Darren as constant reminders of thier interesting do's. Apparently it wasn't as cool in Colorado. Of my own hair, I simply remeber being one of those kids who just couldn't handle chewing gum without getting it in my hair. I even remember getting some stuck while Kaylene got a hair-cut at Dorothy's. I didn't fess up until we got home, and then I was in for it.

Presto said...

When Darren and Christian were having their awesome hair curled, I was about 7 years old. I remember it being different from everyone else, but since they were my older brothers, I didn’t think it was an uncool thing. How could I, if I did I would end up de-pants and running for my life. Nowadays, I can tell you that it was one of the most ridiculous things they have ever done, have you seen anyone else here in Colorado have a perm, nope not one in the right mind or popularity station as Chris and Darren were supposed to be in. I think that’s enough for now, I don’t want any repercussions from earlier years to be returned on me.

kaylene said...

I know that this is off topic, but I have no memories of this at all. Instead I will say, as a reminder to myself in future years, that I have donated my hair to Locks of Love, a organization that makes wigs for children with cancer. The first time I donated about 11 inches. The second time it was about 14 inches. I've never regretted it.

Presto said...

wow kaylene, that is realy off topic. but it has inspired me to think about my life and what i have not done for those less fortunate. Like this one time i was with my friends and we went to the old pizza planet to poke a bum. that was fun, but we could have given him a thumb up instead. and then there was the time we chased an ice cream truck through some neighborhoods cause we knew he was drunk so we waanted a picture of him. he did like that. we should have offered to buy some ice cream instead of making hiom pass by a herd of kids playing footbal at 40 mph.

Emily Jones said...

Wow, Preston! You really are full of charity, aren't you? But don't worry about doing anything kind for us. We're good! Oh... and back to the topic that we are supposed to be writing about... Christian! You hot stuff! I didn't know you could look like that. We are definitely growing your hair out so we can do this again.

Darren said...

This was a painful time of life. Idaho was a separate world during the summer. When you are there you can forget about your previous life in the city. The perms were an unfortunate collision of the two worlds. Had we stayed in Idaho for a couple of more months this whole fiasco wouldn't have been very memorable. As it turns out we did get back to Colorado and I met up with my friends to play basketball. They just stared at me. Then the laughing started. The name "curly sue" was very quickly applied. I have a list of nicknames that I really didn't care for but that one was on the top. Thinking back I am not really sure why I didn't just shave my head but after everyone's initial shock wore off the teasing wasn't so bad. I also had dark hair so it wasn't as pronounced as Christian's. In the end I don't really regret getting a perm. I mean how many guys can say they have done that? This experience is probably one of the reasons I am so comfortable with my current awesomeness. You can just add it up to more life experience that I've had and Preston hasn't.

Presto said...

I guess another expirence you havent had is growing real facial hair or haveing some hair on your chest like a real man. But no matter, it didnt take a perm to get me to reailze that I can enjoy who I am. I came that way.

Darren said...

Growing real facial hair Preston? I wonder what the honor code office would think of such a violation?

Megan said...

It is a little known fact that not only did the boys get perms in Idaho, but I also got one. I got it several years before they did, but I think there is something about going to Ririe that makes us do incredibly stupid things to our hair. I too got a perm from grandma's hairdresser. It was a crazy spiral perm that made me look like a poodle. I recall seeing a picture of myself at grandma and grandpa's house with that perm once, but I haven't seen the picture in years. I think I was about ten or eleven.

Christian said...

"Jheri curl"
My name was changed to Jheri curl (look it up on Google) in middle school the year I returned from Ririe with a perm. I never liked curly hair, and I never wanted it. I don't know how I let mom pressure me into it. Somehow she was talking about how cool it was and the cousins all got perms. Grandma's hair stylist was explaining that fashion starts in California and works it way across the country. "The perm for guys has not hit Colorado yet, but it will". So one of the only times I gave into to peer pressure and did something truly dumb to my body was when my Mother pressured me into getting a perm.
After my mission I ran into an old high school friend. He still called me Jheri Curl.

Sharon said...

I'm not sure I deserve blame for the perm, Christian.

Harold said...

Perms and Idaho go together and have an ancient history. Sharon and I went to Idaho as newly weds for Thanksgiving of 1977. In addition to teaching the Reed family the rules and strategies of playing Rook, Sharon cut her hair and I gave her a perm. Her hair was short and the men were astonished as I wound the sponges around the stinky hair and set the timer for the right amount of treatment then took it all out to reveal an nice tight curl that has transcended the generations of our family to the present day.