China was always a favorite place to dig for in the backyard, we made several failed expeditions to that forbidden kingdom. We tried and tried and each time we were faced with the same result, a big hole in the garden to hide in and expand to make into a trap for Megan or one of the girls. That’s was usually my plan when making a hole by myself. I would cover it up with the leftover corn stocks and leaves from the trees in hopes that it would be disguised enough for some sucker to walk over and fall in. But what usually happened was it get bored and not finish the hole, or when I did and I covered it up I did too good of a job and the victim would just walk right over it and not break the corn stalks. I also remember making a hole shaped like my own body once. I would lie down in it and act like I had just fallen from the sky and left my own creator in the ground. It was good time for us kids to dig in the yard and it kept us busy out of trouble and out of the house. It was after we were done digging that we would get right back into trouble.
I mainly remember prepping to take long luxurious mud baths after the boys dug the holes. I would invite Melissa Kunz, Kelly Hudson, Becca, or Vanessa Rabe over for this exotic experience. It didn't turn out as great as I had hoped. I imagined the mud bath to be like sitting in a tub of creamy chocolate. But what we really got was a hole filled with chilly water that entertained many unknown floaties on the surface. The only creamy essence was found at the bottom with our feet. So we made the most of it and scooped the muck up with out toes. We then transfered the goop underwater to our palms to facilitate an unexpected(but of course it was expected)surprise attack. Instead of the intended mud bath to exfoliate our arms, legs, and torso, we each got a globby facial. I'll say it's a worth while trade.
This was probably the best thing about our garden. Actually planting things was so much work but digging was fun. As I recall there was a little bit of a ranking system with your digging ability. The better you got the better shovel you were awarded. Of course this just meant the older you were the better shovel you got. I seemed to always get the long skinny one which was one step above the plastic red one that Preston used. The Pictured expedition was probably the most elaborate waterway that we constructed. As was usually the case Jacob's presence took the project further than we probably originally intended and the result was Venice in our backyard. This was a great times and I'm sure glad I was not in charge of the water bill back then.
At first I would dig holes just to see how deep I could get them. When the hole was big enough to get inside of I would hollow out chambers in the walls so I could play with my action figures down there. They would "repel" down into the caves and fight or throw each other off cliffs. It was a lot of fun, and those toys were later found year by year as we rototilled the garden.
The "great digging" pictured above was for an elaborate show of sorts. We wanted to create a channel system that would flood one section at a time. We planned it all out and dug the channels so they would twist and turn to get the most out of the space we had. The upper reservoir was filled with the hose. We let the water break the dam and start rushing into the first canal. It was pretty awesome. The rushing water would destroy the broken dam pretty quickly as the channel filled to the next dam and then brake it. It was a lot like setting up an elaborate domino train.
Darren was right about the shovel hierarchy. It was just a coincidence that the older kids could dig better. You have all seen “Holes” the movie and the smallest kid dug the best, so what do you have to day about that?
Aaron Moss and I would also dig booby traps for Megan in the backyard. The Slovers’ taught us how to make an underground fortress during one of the flower bomb wars. That was the same flower bomb war where Malora was guarding their underground fort and hit me in the face with a shovel. I still have a scar under my nose. Anyway we tried our own version at home in the backyard. It consisted in digging a hole and covering it with a plank of wood. We covered the wood with dirt so you could not see the hole or the wood. We thought it would come in handy for night games or to hide from Megan or Louise, whoever was in charge at the time.
I tried digging a hole to China with my sister when I was a kid. My dad built a sandbox in our backyard by putting some 2x4s in a square and filling it with sand. It was so exciting the first time we got to play in it. We decided to dig the biggest hole in the world and find silver and gold to fill our piggy banks. We filled the sand box with water and started digging. After a while, I felt something pretty hard in my hands. I pulled it out and screamed. I ran into the house as fast as I could and yelled, “Mom, someone went to the bathroom in our sandbox!”
My mom came quickly and when I showed her what I had found, she assured me that it was only clay. CLAY! Forget digging for silver and gold! I had seen my brothers playing with clay for their art projects and clay was about the coolest thing I could find. I immediately began a business plan of how I could sell the clay to all of the neighborhood kids. The problem was… none of them wanted it. They all said they could find it in their own back yards. It was a supply and demand catastrophe. Unfortunately my business plan was unsuccessful but I still got to spend countless hours just being a kid and having fun digging in our sand/clay box.
This is one of the bummers of being "the older sister". I was never invited to join in any of the hole making. As I now realize after reading all the comments, not only was I left out of the fun, but I was also the intended target of evilness. I certainly did not warrant any such terriblness, but I guess that goes with the territory. Dang those girls for being so much younger, we could have taken the boys on. Alas, that competition will have to wait until we are all middle aged.
6 comments:
China was always a favorite place to dig for in the backyard, we made several failed expeditions to that forbidden kingdom. We tried and tried and each time we were faced with the same result, a big hole in the garden to hide in and expand to make into a trap for Megan or one of the girls. That’s was usually my plan when making a hole by myself. I would cover it up with the leftover corn stocks and leaves from the trees in hopes that it would be disguised enough for some sucker to walk over and fall in. But what usually happened was it get bored and not finish the hole, or when I did and I covered it up I did too good of a job and the victim would just walk right over it and not break the corn stalks. I also remember making a hole shaped like my own body once. I would lie down in it and act like I had just fallen from the sky and left my own creator in the ground. It was good time for us kids to dig in the yard and it kept us busy out of trouble and out of the house. It was after we were done digging that we would get right back into trouble.
I mainly remember prepping to take long luxurious mud baths after the boys dug the holes. I would invite Melissa Kunz, Kelly Hudson, Becca, or Vanessa Rabe over for this exotic experience. It didn't turn out as great as I had hoped. I imagined the mud bath to be like sitting in a tub of creamy chocolate. But what we really got was a hole filled with chilly water that entertained many unknown floaties on the surface. The only creamy essence was found at the bottom with our feet. So we made the most of it and scooped the muck up with out toes. We then transfered the goop underwater to our palms to facilitate an unexpected(but of course it was expected)surprise attack. Instead of the intended mud bath to exfoliate our arms, legs, and torso, we each got a globby facial. I'll say it's a worth while trade.
This was probably the best thing about our garden. Actually planting things was so much work but digging was fun. As I recall there was a little bit of a ranking system with your digging ability. The better you got the better shovel you were awarded. Of course this just meant the older you were the better shovel you got. I seemed to always get the long skinny one which was one step above the plastic red one that Preston used. The Pictured expedition was probably the most elaborate waterway that we constructed. As was usually the case Jacob's presence took the project further than we probably originally intended and the result was Venice in our backyard. This was a great times and I'm sure glad I was not in charge of the water bill back then.
At first I would dig holes just to see how deep I could get them. When the hole was big enough to get inside of I would hollow out chambers in the walls so I could play with my action figures down there. They would "repel" down into the caves and fight or throw each other off cliffs. It was a lot of fun, and those toys were later found year by year as we rototilled the garden.
The "great digging" pictured above was for an elaborate show of sorts. We wanted to create a channel system that would flood one section at a time. We planned it all out and dug the channels so they would twist and turn to get the most out of the space we had. The upper reservoir was filled with the hose. We let the water break the dam and start rushing into the first canal. It was pretty awesome. The rushing water would destroy the broken dam pretty quickly as the channel filled to the next dam and then brake it. It was a lot like setting up an elaborate domino train.
Darren was right about the shovel hierarchy. It was just a coincidence that the older kids could dig better. You have all seen “Holes” the movie and the smallest kid dug the best, so what do you have to day about that?
Aaron Moss and I would also dig booby traps for Megan in the backyard. The Slovers’ taught us how to make an underground fortress during one of the flower bomb wars. That was the same flower bomb war where Malora was guarding their underground fort and hit me in the face with a shovel. I still have a scar under my nose. Anyway we tried our own version at home in the backyard. It consisted in digging a hole and covering it with a plank of wood. We covered the wood with dirt so you could not see the hole or the wood. We thought it would come in handy for night games or to hide from Megan or Louise, whoever was in charge at the time.
I tried digging a hole to China with my sister when I was a kid. My dad built a sandbox in our backyard by putting some 2x4s in a square and filling it with sand. It was so exciting the first time we got to play in it. We decided to dig the biggest hole in the world and find silver and gold to fill our piggy banks. We filled the sand box with water and started digging. After a while, I felt something pretty hard in my hands. I pulled it out and screamed. I ran into the house as fast as I could and yelled, “Mom, someone went to the bathroom in our sandbox!”
My mom came quickly and when I showed her what I had found, she assured me that it was only clay. CLAY! Forget digging for silver and gold! I had seen my brothers playing with clay for their art projects and clay was about the coolest thing I could find. I immediately began a business plan of how I could sell the clay to all of the neighborhood kids. The problem was… none of them wanted it. They all said they could find it in their own back yards. It was a supply and demand catastrophe. Unfortunately my business plan was unsuccessful but I still got to spend countless hours just being a kid and having fun digging in our sand/clay box.
This is one of the bummers of being "the older sister". I was never invited to join in any of the hole making. As I now realize after reading all the comments, not only was I left out of the fun, but I was also the intended target of evilness. I certainly did not warrant any such terriblness, but I guess that goes with the territory. Dang those girls for being so much younger, we could have taken the boys on. Alas, that competition will have to wait until we are all middle aged.
Post a Comment