

Share memories of hair cuts - either getting them or giving them. Some idea starters:
Carrie Jones taking Megan to get her hair cut because Mom couldn't bear to see her long locks cut off.
Haircuts at home or in a salon.
Experiences cutting your own hair.
9 comments:
I cut my hair all the time as a little girl. It was one of my favorite pass times. I heard that if you cut your hair it will grow faster and longer so I cut my bangs really short, there was not even an inch left from my scalp. I also cut all my barbie dolls hair off because I wanted to make a pillow for my mom and needed stuffing. To this day my nieces play with bald barbies when they go to grandma's house. I guess I still enjoy cutting my own hair because I have needed to get my hair cut for the last 4 months (I finally have) and it was really bugging me so when I was really board at work I would take out the scissors and chop away. I always wondered what the cleaning guy thought when he had to vacuum up all the hair several times a week for 4 months.
We already covered the perms back in August of 2008. Besides that I gave myself a haircut on the mission that was way too short. I think I used a beard trimmer. I gave Aaron Moss a buzz once. He really hated it. It made him look like a light pole.
When Harold and I got married, he assumed I would cut his hair. I had never considered cutting hair before and had absolutely no skill, but we were on a budget so I gave it a try. We went to visit his Grandma and Grandpa Moore shortly after I cut Harold's hair for the first time. Grandpa Moore's first comment was, "Harold, what happened to your head!"
Harold was game enough to have me keep trying and I did improve. Once we moved to Denver and he was making a good living, he went to a barber. Meanwhile we had three sons and they needed hair cuts. Sometimes we took them to my good friend, Jeanne King. Other times to Dorothy (a neighborhood hair stylist from Greece), but most of the time I cut their hair. I was slow at first and the boys didn't like to sit still. I especially remember cutting Christian's hair when he was three or four. I gave him a sucker to keep him happy. Still he cried. Soon he was a sticky, dripping, hairy mess. I think cutting hair got easier on everybody as the years went by. I trimmed the girls hair too. Then I was having the girls trim my hair. I think Rebecca did it the most.
I didn’t officially cut my own hair until recently. I often cut at it, maybe a bit like Ashlee does, when I would get in a mood for a hair cut. That usually happened late at night. Dorothy begged me not to do it because she would end up having to fix the mess, but the temptation was often too much. After my hair all fell out with chemo, I didn’t have the same fear about messing up and have been cutting my own hair every since. I would like to thank the family for letting me practice on them first.
Mostly I remember getting my hair cut in mom and Dad's room and loving the sound the scissors made when they cut my hair. I am pretty sure I cut my bangs once on my own and it wasn't too awful. I also remember being the little girl who had to have short hair because I always got gum and candy stuck in it. Later, I remember giving mom some haircuts and I even gave Kaylene a haircut once. Both turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. I even gave them layers.
Growing up I remember haircuts at Genie's and once at Dorthy's. I got my hair cut in Idaho once besides the unmentionable time. Mom didn't go with me and I took advantage of the opportunity. I got a bowl cut with the sides cut to the skin and the top left long. I liked it except this is when I found out where my birth mark is. Right on the back of my head.
Mom did the majority of my haircuts growing up. This was fine by me. I don't remember being very picky and she did a good job. I think I bled only 3 or 4 times.
Freshman year of college there was a girl that was cutting some of my friends hair. I decided to let her try mine. Easily the worst haircut of my life. I didn't say anything but the next day I wore a hat and immediately went to the barber shop on campus to have it fixed. $11.00 later I was looking normal again. I saw the girl that cut my hair later that evening and she asked if I had got it fixed. I couldn't bring myself to tell her that I did.
On my mission I decided to learn to cut my own hair cause haircuts were expensive and we had to get them often. The first time was not so good. I thought an inch would be longer than it was. This was right before a zone conference and I was pretty worried that the President would say something. After that I got better and ended up cutting my hair for most of my mission. That has continued so far to this day. It's nice that my hair hides mistakes rather well cause I have had plenty while learning. Still it is sad when you cut off 75% of your hair and nobody notices.
I am glad to Look at my hair in my late 20's when it was wavey and a bit long. Styles have changed over the years and so have haircuts. There is nothing like the taste of cut hair in your mouth or the itch of a few strands of hair under the collar. There are few things that make me feel younger new than a fresh haircut. Mom gave me one this morning and I must say I look good and feel energized.
Once mom got into haircutting I do remember, after some prior experience, that about 10:00 pm on the night before a family trip or vacation was prime time for giving haircuts to the teanage boys. She wanted everyone to look as good as they could for the trip.
My haircuts are easier and easier to do but it still makes me feel good! Dad
well haircuts and i have a history together, some good and some not so great.When i was younger i had lots of hair to mess around with, oh and i still do. but that's when i was able to convince mom to give me the half haircut shown in the blog picture. she let me have it for about half the day which let me and my brothers to make a short film clip joke. mom was happy to finish the job and have a perfect looking boy again.
Later in life i had some trouble keeping my hair in the guidelines of the mission. for a couple years i would cope with the curls that would inevitably accumulate above my ears. I would use my electric shaver to trip the hair shorter and it would usually leave uneven indents that were easy to spot from many angle. I Once used the trimmers to give myself a hair cut that was even, but i only did the sides and the neck line, leaving the top and back of the head with longer hair. i was trying to get a sharper look for zone conference the next day. it didn't work, i had given myself a mullet that was the focus of attention of some of my friends and previous companions. to make things worse we were outside for our testimony meeting and i was asked to bear my testimony in front of the assembled missionaries and the president and his groupies. I went up and there was no way this would going to be a spiritual moment. i started out but all the while i could see my buds laughing and messing around to distract me. outside my view was a dangling spider web that detached from a tree and fell gracefully right into my face. I couldn't see it but i was grabbing for it all over my face. i immediately said amen and sat back down the the surprise of many. that story still makes my and my comps laugh. later i baptized a hair dresser who gave me haircuts and taught me not to use my trimmers ever again. after that area i have had my companions cut me hair and they have done a good job. at school i have my roommates cut my hair and they do a good job too.
And now her at home mom cuts the hair if i want it. i am currently sporting my unemployment beard and long slightly wavy hair, and i like it.
The first hair cut to come to mind happened at the hardware store. We had been driving in the Astrovan to a store that is now where Bell Plumbing is. I was in the back seat and chomping on bubble gum. Dad told me repeatedly not to blow bubbles as it would get stuck in my long hair. I kept blowing them and soon enough, a big glob of gum was in my hair. Dad was angry that I wouldn't listen and continued to disobey him. He had threatened to cut off my hair if the gum got in it. I didn't believe him. Well, we walked into the store and dad bee-lined for the gardening sheers. He took a pair out and chopped off my hair --just the part with the gum in it. I was stunned (and I recall mom was a little shocked too). After we finished our business at the hardware store, mom took me somewhere and got my hair fixed.
The first childhood memory of haircuts is when I had hair long enough to reach my waist. Dad could make towers out of it when he gave me a bath. (That was about the highlight of every Saturday.) But I was now old enough to start taking care of myself and I couldn't wash and brush such long hair, so I wanted to have it cut. Mom understood the idea, but couldn't bear to see my beautiful tresses gone. But I was adamant and so mom's friend Carrie Jones took me to see her hairdresser Dorothy. We showed up at Perfect Hair and Dorothy was really hesitant to cut some other person's child's hair, but she did it. This turned out to be a fantastic financial decision for Dorothy because after that point we all started going to Dorothy for our hair cuts.
I didn't really cut my own hair, except once the day before school pictures. Mom fixed it as best as she could, but I still wasn't happy in the picture. For the most part I put my faith in the salon. I have had perms, highlights, colors, and cuts of every variety. On the mission I had a terrible hair cut, where the stylist not only undercut the ends but also overcut them too. It was terrible. About six months later I decided to get a perm, but forgot the cardinal rule of perms and washed it too soon, leaving my hair kind of kinky and not curly at all. Mostly I french braided it every day my last summer there which ended up giving me really weird highlights from the hair that was on top.
I currently have three different colors in my hair and I am trying to decide which one to stay with.
Post a Comment