Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Trampoline Stories







10 comments:

Emily Jones said...

Yes! I've never been first before. You're right you guys! It DOES feel good!

Ok, so anyway, two days after I turned 16, I went on my very first date. It was to the Commencement Dance at the end of the year and I was so excited. That morning, my date picked me up and we went to our friends house to jump on the trampoline.

My date thought it would be fun to "send" me really high. I was already jumping really high and I didn't want to go any higher so I tried to absorb the jump. Unfortunately, my ankle twisted under me, I felt a pop, and I started yelling "ouch" over and over again uncontrollably. Turned out I had sprained my ankle.

Needless to say, I had to wear crutches to the dance on my very first date and I didn't do a whole lot of dancing. That's alright though, I'm not a great dancer anyway.

Rebecca said...

Well, I loved playing on the trampoline at Grandpa's growing up and it was pretty much the best day of my life when we got one. I loved playing dead man dead man, that one crocodile game, add on, and stuff like crack the egg. However, my favorite thing to do was to jump on the tramp when it was raining because then the water bounces up and it is really cool. I still do that. Anywho, I am super glad we had the opportunity to enjoy the trampoline in our lives.

Leo and Les Jones said...

I remember being at your house for Thanksgiving after I was married and getting both Grandma Moore and Grandma Jones up on the Trampoline for a few bounces!! I think we have some pictures of this someplace.

Sharon said...

I got the pictures of Great Grandma Moore and Grandma Jones. This was when the family gathered at our home for Thanksgiving 1984. Someone asked Great Grandma Moore (age 90) if she would like to jump. We didn't expect her to say yes, but she really did want to jump. Notice the smile on her face. She died the following February but kept her spunky attitude to the end. Grandma Jones, well she has always been a part of the fun. We had a good laugh talking about this today.

Christian said...

The Trampoline was a central part of my life growing up. Dead man, Add-on, knee wars, butt wars, sleepovers, twist flips and general ninja practice were all great fun. The best was putting the sprinkler under the trampoline and getting soaked jumping on a wet trampoline. It functioned as a bouncy slip-n-slide. Then Megan, Darren, any friends and I would go downstairs and get in the Hide-a-bed under the covers and watch a movie. The thought was that the covers would dry us off after an hour or two. It never worked though.
One afternoon during piano lessons Michael Slover attempted to jump from the top of the fence to the trampoline. He nearly made it. He landed on his rips on the frame. He came crawling into the sunroom calling for sister Jones to take him to the hospital.
Jumping is just what we did as kids. The Lambertsons had a trampoline, the Kunzes had a trampoline, the Reeds all had trampolines. I would jump with Steve Winn, Mike Thompson, The new neighbor that moved into the Thompson's house, Jared from down the street, the Slovers, and even David Bond in High School.
But then I went on a mission. When I got back I had lost all my skills. One night I was jumping with Preston and his friends and I came down wrong on my ankle and that was it. I wore a boot cast for the rest of the summer.
I don't know if I will spend much more time on a trampoline in the future. However, early trampoline memories do include dad doing flip after flip. I may have to remember how to jump well enough to show off to my kids.

Darren said...

Christian covered a lot of my trampoline memories. I do have some more. In addition to the games he mentioned we also played dodge ball. When we had the first trampoline and it was next to the big tree that was behind the deck we used to have a problem with bee's. I remember jumping on the tramp and I sat down. A bee came and landed on my thumb. Then it stung me. I cried and mom gave me a frozen can of orange juice to hold against my thumb.
Another time Christian and Megan were helping me learn how to do a front flip. I landed on my neck and ended up at the doctors office with a very sore neck.
During high school my friends and I would use our lunch time or leave school during assemblies and go play at someone's house. Often we would all end up on the trampoline. During one lunch it was raining and we were at the Moss's house. For whatever reason Dan and I ended up jumping on the tramp in the rain. We went back to school soaking wet and got some weird looks. It was a lot of fun though.
Since Kaylene is not here to add her story I will tell what I remember of the incident. I was outside on the grass and Kaylene and Preston were jumping on the tramp. Everything looked fine then Kaylene stopped jumping and sat down, then started crying. I thought she was just being a little bit dramatic (which happened every once and a while). I think I went and got mom but that is all I remember. Apparently it was a little worse than it looked and she came home with the little pink cast.
Anyway I still think the tramp was an important part of our childhood and I will probably have one when I grow up.

Presto said...

Trampolines have always been a favorite thing for me to do. it has been there to let out any steam, or to feel free while jumping high in the air. luckily i haven't received any serious injury from one, but as i get older and more heavy :)that risk may increase. I don't so much use the trampoline here at home so much. I have started going to a trampoline gym where i have the whole warehouse of trampolines to jump on. i can run jump all the way across the floor. Its a great activity for dates and just hanging out with friends. I just wish there was one near Rexburg so that i could use it for dates. But i feel that i am the best trampolinist in the family, i usually try to be the best at whatever i do and so this is no excuse.

Ashlee said...

Much to Darren's disappointment I want nothing to do with trampolines. I broke my arm really bad when I was 8. I went over to my brothers friends house to get him to baby-sit me because my parents were leaving to go house hunting. We ended up on the trampoline and I was trying to explain a game where one person jumps another and it goes in a circle. Well Randall and his friend “misunderstood” that everyone does not jump at the same time so they jumped as hard as they could and I flew up into the air and came down on my belly. My arm snapped back like a whip and I landed in the middle of the trampoline. The wind was knocked out of me and my arm hurt really badly. I could not cry because I could not breathe. I forgot to mention that the friend’s parents were not home. I walked home (not that far) by my self because Randall was afraid he was going to get into trouble. My parents were gone and this was before the days of cell phones so there was no way to contact them. Jon, another brother was home, but he was too young to drive. Jon knew right away that my arm was broken because the bone was sticking out of the skin, so he called our home teacher, Brother Todd and he took us to the emergency room. Because my parents were not with me the hospital could do nothing so they put me on a bed with an ice pack for about 3 hours. This was the worst. The pain was so bad and I felt so tired but the nurses would not let me fall asleep. Randall, in the mean time, was at home and was supposed to wait for my parents and tell them where I was. My parents came home and ate lunch calmly and cleaned up all while Randall was “schmoozing” them. Finally he said are you going to be mad at me? My dad said that depends. At this question my dad new something was up and finally got the story out of Randall. Keep in mind this was about an hour or so after they had finally gotten home. Randall said he wanted them to get comfy first before breaking the news. So my parents ran to the hospital and there they stayed for 3 days. The only think holding my arm together was the skin, and you could see the bone sticking out. I had to have surgery on my elbow and had 2 pins put in (about 4 inches long). Apparently I had shattered my elbow. Later after about 4 months or so of wearing a cast the doctors took it off and pulled out the pins with a pair of regular everyday pliers and I did not even have anything to help with the pain. In all honesty it felt really itchy and ticklish and extremely uncomfortable to have the pins pulled out. Not something you would want done really ever but not as bad as it sounds. My mom had to go stand in the hall because she could not watch. Then I had to wear a sling for a while. I still have a really impressive scar from the surgery. Ever sense I have been scared to death of trampolines and hate jumping when others are on it and absolutely hate being jumped (that’s how the whole thing started in the first place).

Megan said...

Christin and Darren covered all the trampoline highlights. Well done. I also really loved having a trampoline as a kid. We played on it constantly. I do remember when Evelyn and Bruce came to visit that Anna and I were on the tramp and she broke her arm. I felt really bad. I remember when Steve Winn and I were doing flips and he flipped right off the tramp and bounced off the rim and landed in the rocks. He didn't jump much after that. Right after my mission mom and I had gone shopping and I got a really cut pair of blue corduroy pants. I went out on the trampoline to enjoy some freedom, and decided to try some of our old tricks. In doing so I totally split the seat of my brand new pants. Because they were corduroy, they couldn't be repaired. Mom was upset. I felt stupid. But those few moments of being a kid again were fun.

Harold said...

Oh, the trampolines. I loved the jumping, the soaring, the twisting, the flipping, the games you could do. We got the first trampoline in 1982 and had Dale and Brenda Bradford over for a jump. Dale and I had a blast and the ladies wanted to join the fun. It did not take long before the ladies found that they had so much fun they wet their pants. I think that ended the great jumping for mom although she has jumped again from time to time. This was in our home on Purdue Place before Darren was born. We have had several trampolines and it is always fun to soar up higher and higher. It was a surprise when I hit bottom a couple of years ago. A surprise and a shock! I love the sensation of the equilibrium in your head experiencing the gravitational pull when you accelerate up and up. I used to love doing the front and back and front and back for 20 to 40 times. Jumping with all the kids was great, playing all the tramp games was a lot of fun, and playing dodge ball or Frisbee while jumping was great. Sadly, back flips are mostly over but I am tempted to go outside right now and try it just because I am thinking about it. I have loved the trampoline!