Guess who just beat Preston! Okay so Ghost Riding is when you get your bike going at a decent speed then you jump off and see how far your bike goes before it crashes. Our old banana seat tanks, I mean bikes, were especially good at this. There was one evening where all the kids on our street were out ghost riding our bikes. How some adult didn't see and stop us I will never know.
Terd of hurdles...I mean Herd of turtles I will leave to Christian.
"Don't play with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy" came from Brother Curtis as a Scout leader (I don't know if it also comes from Bro. Curtis as a Bishopric Member but I would be interested to know). Basically I think too many games were ruined because a little kid was playing with the big kids and would get hurt. More than once I was probably the little kid. A specific incident would be the great idea of tying jackets together then having someone lay on them while the other boys dragged the jackets around the gym. The rider would fish tail all over the place. It was great fun until I was fishtailed into the divider between the Chapel and the gym. Somehow the wall pinched my stomach and took out of chunk of skin. I still have the scar. I kind of freaked out and that ended that game pretty quick. Anyway that's my story.
I had read the "Thundering Turd of Hurdles or I mean the Thundering Hurd of Turtles" somewhere and I thought it was pretty funny. I still think it is a pretty good play on words. I, however will plead the 5th on when and where this comment was introduced into the family lore and would like the rest of the informed yet heretofore silent participants to respect my wishes.
Brother Curtis, scoutmaster, was the one who brought the saying about dogs and puppies into the family lore. Christian was a scout and it helped the kids stop whining. I do however remember Darren's accident at the Church. It happened when Jacob was living with us and I took him, and the rest of the kids at youth night home, sending my appointments home as well.
I remember Brother Curtis and his big dogs/puppy saying. He sure had a way of managing a herd of Boy Scouts.
Ghost riding was totally new to me. Good thing I didn't know about it.
I can't remember the beginning of "herd of turtles" but it became a special phrase for me as Christian used it to encourage me when I was starting my cancer treatments. Then he sent me an IPOD with that inscription on the back. It was a great motivator to get me exercising.
Darren helped me get started at the Trails Rec Center by going with me and showing me how to use the weight machines. I remember walking the track overlooking the machines. Darren was lifting weights and studying note cards in preparation for the test to get into optometry school. As I walked I listened to Jack Johnson's "Better Together". I felt both Christian and Darren were there with me helping me do the thing I really needed to do; you know, get going like a herd of turtles. It was a slow start but it worked. I have kept the habit and really enjoy it. . . and the Jack Johnson song is true: Yeah, its always better when we're together.
I wish I could have jumped in earlier on this one. I'm surprised that everybody does not remember the turd of hurdles like I do. But I will start with the first one. Darren explained the concept of ghost riding pretty well. It was so fun to dive from a moving bike and see how far it would go. Once the bike lost some of its momentum it would start to weave left then right before crashing down or into the sidewalk. The best bicycles for this were the ones we got from the Winn Family. We inherited Ryan Winn's old black bike, and it was one solid, heavy tank of a bike. Ghost riding proved its strength time and time again.
I had thought at first the "pee like a puppy" phrase came from Grandpa Jones. Now I guess it was Brother Curtis. I also thought Grandpa Jones would say "if you mess with the bull you get the horns." Was that grandpa or Curtis?
Now the Turd of Hurdles. One Sunday morning the family was running a little late for church. On the way from the parking lot to the chapel Mom said something like, "hurry up gang you are moving like a Turd of Hurdles". She had meant to say herd of turtles but had messed up. It was really funny at the time. I thought the entire family would bring it up from time to time to tease her. I guess it was just me. Love you mom, After reading everyone else’s comments I would like to know if there was something else worth sharing.
12 comments:
Guess who just beat Preston! Okay so Ghost Riding is when you get your bike going at a decent speed then you jump off and see how far your bike goes before it crashes. Our old banana seat tanks, I mean bikes, were especially good at this. There was one evening where all the kids on our street were out ghost riding our bikes. How some adult didn't see and stop us I will never know.
Terd of hurdles...I mean Herd of turtles I will leave to Christian.
"Don't play with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy" came from Brother Curtis as a Scout leader (I don't know if it also comes from Bro. Curtis as a Bishopric Member but I would be interested to know). Basically I think too many games were ruined because a little kid was playing with the big kids and would get hurt. More than once I was probably the little kid. A specific incident would be the great idea of tying jackets together then having someone lay on them while the other boys dragged the jackets around the gym. The rider would fish tail all over the place. It was great fun until I was fishtailed into the divider between the Chapel and the gym. Somehow the wall pinched my stomach and took out of chunk of skin. I still have the scar. I kind of freaked out and that ended that game pretty quick. Anyway that's my story.
Dad was the first to use Hurd of Turtles, so I think he should explain it because I may get it out of context.
I don't have anything to add except that I beat Preston too!
I had read the "Thundering Turd of Hurdles or I mean the Thundering Hurd of Turtles" somewhere and I thought it was pretty funny. I still think it is a pretty good play on words. I, however will plead the 5th on when and where this comment was introduced into the family lore and would like the rest of the informed yet heretofore silent participants to respect my wishes.
Brother Curtis, scoutmaster, was the one who brought the saying about dogs and puppies into the family lore. Christian was a scout and it helped the kids stop whining. I do however remember Darren's accident at the Church. It happened when Jacob was living with us and I took him, and the rest of the kids at youth night home, sending my appointments home as well.
I only remember the dog-puppy saying. Mostly because several people reminded me of it when I wanted to get in on the family wrestling action.
As far as the others... I have no idea.
I remember Brother Curtis and his big dogs/puppy saying. He sure had a way of managing a herd of Boy Scouts.
Ghost riding was totally new to me. Good thing I didn't know about it.
I can't remember the beginning of "herd of turtles" but it became a special phrase for me as Christian used it to encourage me when I was starting my cancer treatments. Then he sent me an IPOD with that inscription on the back. It was a great motivator to get me exercising.
Darren helped me get started at the Trails Rec Center by going with me and showing me how to use the weight machines. I remember walking the track overlooking the machines. Darren was lifting weights and studying note cards in preparation for the test to get into optometry school. As I walked I listened to Jack Johnson's "Better Together". I felt both Christian and Darren were there with me helping me do the thing I really needed to do; you know, get going like a herd of turtles. It was a slow start but it worked. I have kept the habit and really enjoy it. . . and the Jack Johnson song is true: Yeah, its always better when we're together.
I wish I could have jumped in earlier on this one. I'm surprised that everybody does not remember the turd of hurdles like I do. But I will start with the first one. Darren explained the concept of ghost riding pretty well. It was so fun to dive from a moving bike and see how far it would go. Once the bike lost some of its momentum it would start to weave left then right before crashing down or into the sidewalk. The best bicycles for this were the ones we got from the Winn Family. We inherited Ryan Winn's old black bike, and it was one solid, heavy tank of a bike. Ghost riding proved its strength time and time again.
I had thought at first the "pee like a puppy" phrase came from Grandpa Jones. Now I guess it was Brother Curtis. I also thought Grandpa Jones would say "if you mess with the bull you get the horns." Was that grandpa or Curtis?
Now the Turd of Hurdles. One Sunday morning the family was running a little late for church. On the way from the parking lot to the chapel Mom said something like, "hurry up gang you are moving like a Turd of Hurdles". She had meant to say herd of turtles but had messed up. It was really funny at the time. I thought the entire family would bring it up from time to time to tease her. I guess it was just me. Love you mom,
After reading everyone else’s comments I would like to know if there was something else worth sharing.
I'm pretty sure grandpa's saying was "Every dog has his day...pup."
Yes, That is it Darren.
I also only remember the dog-puppy saying. but i never had a problem with it. I guess thats because i never had the problem of being hte puppy.
But i have a couple for the girls that we can remember that still bring a smirt to our faces.
For Becca: Face Jerk!
For Kaylene: Hey, Im Immortal!
Oh. my. gosh. preston. I haven't laughed that hard in a ong time. Thanks
Post a Comment