Sunday, November 2, 2008

Favorite Meal


When Dad and I got married, he made me a deal. If I made anything he wouldn't eat, he'd pay me ten dollars. He has never had to pay up. That doesn't imply that every meal has been a winner. More likely it means that Dad is very close with his money . . . and very supportive of the cook.

We also decided we didn't want to raise picky eaters. I remember Dad telling a less than enthusiastic diner that he/she "didn't have to like it, just had to eat it."

With this introduction I would like to hear about your favorite meals from childhood. I guess it would also be interesting to hear about your least favorite foods now that you are out on your own and can eat whatever you want; but be nice. Whatever you say may come back to haunt you with your own children.

12 comments:

Presto said...

My favorite meal. I have tons of great meal experiences with moms cooking that pleased me greatly. The combo of mashed potatoes and gravy, baked chicken, a salad and a wonderful drink is always welcome to my belly. We all loved those meals I’m sure. And I’m sure we all would love to have it again and again. So mom you have my vote for favorite meal.
On the other hand I have had some meals that were close to that quality and enjoyment on my mission. As I have told most of you, my mission was not one to worry about not enough food or too little variety. In fact I’m willing to wager that I had more steak on my mission than I will for the rest of my life.
I was out contacting a referral and came into contact to a man who was not so much interested in the message we had but did need some help with his yard. So we helped him for a couple hours and he wanted to pay us back with food. My Companion and I had the best steak dinner of our lives. I had a steak bigger than my face, with a large serving of green beans and a baked potato and some casserole and a sobe. There was also garlic bread and salad. I ate and ate and still I had 3/4th of the steak to go and already my hollow leg was full. I had leftovers for every lunch for over a week with the food I didn’t finish and the food he sends home with us.
Steak dinners weren’t all that uncommon on my mission. I ate well and only gained 15 pounds during the whole duration of my mission. Most of it at the MTC :). And I’m still sporting those 15 pounds. Haven’t changed much in weight since then.

Rebecca said...

I have always loved breakfast foods, so whenever we had waffles, french toast, eggs, or biscuits and gravy it was amazing. As a little kid I remember loving Mac & Cheese with peas. Now, I think my favorite is the spinach walnut salad with rosemary potatoes and delicious salmon. Pretty close up there is the tuna ring. I pretty much liked all our meals with fish. My least favorite things were this one tomato pasta casserole thing Mom used to make, I don't remember it recently so either I learned to like it or we haven't eaten it for a long time. Also I never really liked pot roast. It's not that it tasted bad, and I felt awful for not liking it as much as everyone else, but there it is.
Here at school I am cooking a lot so I eat a lot of good meals. Mostly things I cooked at home and some of my favorite recipes.

Ashlee said...

I loved and still love my grandmother’s famous macaroni bacon and cheese. I think my great grandma invented it because I’ve never seen or heard of anyone making it the way my great grandmother did. The meal consists of macaroni baked with 3 layers of really thick sharp cheddar cheese and 2 layers of bacon (the real stuff not turkey bacon) and of course pepper. She always cooks it so the cheese is a little on the crispy side. My mom doesn’t add so much bacon or cheese and she uses turkey bacon, which is why grandma’s is the best. We would (and still do) top it off with ketchup. You may think it sounds gross but you can’t say anything until you’ve tried it. With out fail every grandchild (all 17 of us) would ask for macaroni bacon and cheese when we went to grandma’s house. She would make 2 large pans of it and there were never any leftovers. To this day when ever there is a family event my grandma (by request) brings over her macaroni bacon and cheese and it is always the first to go. I love grandma!! Thinking of this meal has caused a small craving to arise, the only problem is I’m too tired to cook and uncooked meat makes me nauseous, bummer. I hate bustle sprouts. My dad would try and get me to eat them by calling them Russell sprouts and saying they were daddy’s veggies, it never worked. I also hate lima beans.

Harold said...

I remember getting to know Sharon because she would make pies (apple, cherry, etc) and drop them off at the apartment with me and my roommates. I would eat the pie then take the pie pan back to her apartment. Those were great days. The the last several years I remember rejoicing when Sharon bought a new cook book because good meals were on the way. She is a great cook and I have eaten many a wonderful meal. We have perfected Salmon, burnt chicken, a variety of breads, walnut salads, pastas, soups, drinks, potatoes etc.

It has been great.

Anonymous said...

I love mom's Broccoli cheddar rice casserole--especially with the crunchy stuff on top. I also remember eating some kind of snack mom made when we got home from Dartmouth. I remember eating it while sitting on the fireplace bricks and watching the Sound of Music. The only problem is that I can't remember what that dessert snack was. I just remember the absolute feeling of bliss while i ate that and watched Captain Von Trap. Nothing is better than that. I'm not a big fan of the spaghetti nests. The noodles are too thin so I feel like i'm eating air sometimes.

Megan said...

I have absolutley love the chicken (or sometimes turkey) curry casserole with broccoli, rice and cheese. That is total comfort food for me. I have always liked mom's burnt chicken and her mashed pototoes, I don't think anyone can best her, except a professional chef. (That is a compliment by the way.) I do recall that the fewer the kids in the house, the more adventurous mom's cooking got. There was a time when she had never used garlic, rosemary, nor oil and basalmic vinegar on bread. I have always loved mom's homemade bread. I am not a huge pasta or soup fan, but back in the day she used to make the very best chicken noodle soup -- mom even made the noodles to go in it. That was so awesome. I have also really loved the carmel pecan rolls which could beat Cinnabon anyday.

Megan said...

And it must be said that dad's scrambled eggs are my all time favorite breakfast food. The way he gets the perfect combination of egg, cheese, and salsa is worth living in colorado for. Hmmm. I should stop by some Saturday morning and get some. No matter how much I try to make eggs like dads, they are never quite as good. He also does make some wicked good pancakes.

Darren said...

I am a fan of food. Mom and Dad made lots of dishes that were great. Bread bowls with brocoli cheese soup were awesome. The problem with them was that mom would make tons of them for the missionaries. Those bowls would all be sitting around and I couldn't eat any of them. Ergo I hated the missionaries.

My favorite meal was probably No Name steaks with twiced baked potatoes. Sooo good. Mom's pies were always a treat. The crust is awesome.

There was one meal that I didn't particularly enjoy. Tomatoe Stew. With the large chunks of skinned tomatoes in there. I was just not a fan. I knew when that meal was on the table I would be going through a lot of bread and milk. I also never liked stuffing but since that is a side dish it was usually not a problem.

One last meal that I really enjoyed growing up was Salmon with the Rosemary Garlic potatoes. I remember the first time mom cooked salmon for some party she was having. It stunk up the entire house. I was very cautious of Salmon after that but then she started making it with the brown sugar and it was oh so tasty. mmmm I got to go eat something.

Christian said...

Mom's home made bread is the winner in my book. My best food memories were getting out of the bath tub on Saturday night, having music playing on Mom's stereo and smelling home made bread fresh out of the oven. Bread sticks are my next favorite. Best after school snack was fruit pizza. We did not have it often but I always wanted it. Next best dessert was the caramel cinnamon rolls. Burnt chicken, twice baked potatoes and the salmon are runners up. Breakfast cake and stake also get an honorable mention.

Ashlee said...

So now that I am pregnant my taste buds have changed a lot. This may be a frighting post for some so I am warning you to stop reading now if you don't think you can handle it. Ok here it goes, brace your selves, I can't stand dark chocolate (ahhh!!). The next dislike is even more terrifying than the first. I don't like ice cream, not even Blue Bell brand ice cream (more ahhh!). Just in case anyone did not know I used to eat a large bowl of ice cream every night since forever. This is weird. The strangest thing is I don't even miss these foods. Ok so foods I do like is moms salmon with brown sugar (I'm really into sugar these days) and rose mary potatoes. I vote for this one at Christmas. I can eat salmon just in case anyone was wondering and studies have shown that women who eat the "safe" fishes have smarter babies because of the omega 3's (also I've been craving it but we can't afford it.) I'll help and so will Darren!

Sharon said...

Ashlee I don't know how you will survive without Blue Bell ice cream. I only hope this phase will pass quickly. I can understand going off chocolate but not Blue Bell. For the rest of you, you'll just have to visit Darren and Ashlee and try Huston's great ice cream.

Christian said...

When I said caramel cinema rolls, I think I meant the caramel pecan rolls Megan mentioned. I thought they were called cinnamon rolls, but they had caramel and pecans so...what ever.
Also, I never liked stuffing, tomato soup or vegetables.