Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Rebecca



Today is Rebecca's 18th Birthday. As we sat around the table sharing birthday dinner, we also shared Becca memories. It would have been nice if we could all have been together; then it occurred to me we could use the Rememory game to be together in a sense on these special occasions. So this special round will be a memory of Rebecca Lynn Jones.

I will start out by explaining this picture. Rebecca was born with remarkable eyes. It was the first thing our pediatrician noticed when she saw her, exclaiming "look at those amazing orbs." Well I've been looking into those orbs for 18 years now. They can be steady and confident. They can sparkle with wit. They can signal disapproval or soften with love. They narrow with determination or widen in surprise . . . but always they radiate the light of living right. I love those eyes.

9 comments:

Presto said...

becca birthdays.well this weeks game is goin to be my comp out. not only do i not a good memory of a becca birthday, since i havent been around one for like 4 years, but i also forgot it was her birthday today, even when i called her today. i did the same thing with megan, i call her about somthing other than her birthday. dum dum that i am. but becca eyes were always weird lookin.
ok one sec, its not a birthday memory of becca, but a funny one at that. it was when becca and kaylene were still sharing the upstairs room and becca was having her naked time and got stuck under her bed. i think of that whenever i feel out done by her, cause at least i never did that. and becca always took naps in the weirdest places, in the toy box, in a laundry bin, just anywhere. i guess she just saw the world a bit different than others.

Rebecca said...

First off, I am Awesome! I have always been awesome and my birthdays have not always been up to par. THis year was great, we went out and got stuff for me to take to college and had yummy pizza and a fruit tart. Last year, we woke up pretty early adn packed to leave for santa fe. We spent most of the day in the car. I got a couple cool presents but it was a pretty anticlimactic day. The year before, I had my sixteenth birthday while on the pioneer trek in wyomeing. Dad made me a cake, but it fell in the dirt and nobody really got to celebrate. Oh well. From now on I expect everyone to think of my birthday as a national holiday and cellebrate it as such wherever you are. I think it will be good for all of us. Christian and Emily started this year and you should all follow suit. (Yes I know that my birthday already is a national holiday, but not neccessarily for me)

Harold said...

Since my memory is fading, I can remember Becca's 18th birthday. We had a great breakfast of omlets, toast, jam, etc. Then shopping for a couple hour that inclueded a tour of Target, Kohls, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Walmart to celebrate her emancipation and get pots, pans, sheets, hot pads, towels, cookware, plates, kitchen utencils and the like. The dinner was also wonderful. The fruit tart was great! Thanks for all who celebrated the blessed event both here and everywhere.

Ashlee said...

So what I remember doing with Becca is painting while watching Jane Austin movies - just about the greatest 2 things that I love to do. Becca's painting was way better than mine (her friends face), which is to be expected, so I decided to paint something really weird. I really enjoy this memory!

Darren said...

I am trying to understand something Dad. Was it you or Becca celebrating her emancipation?

Emily Jones said...

Let’s see… What do I know about Becca’s birthdays? Hmmm, well since this is the only Birthday Becca has had since I’ve been in the family, I guess I’ll share this memory. Christian and I celebrated by eating breakfast at the One Man Band. Of course we called Becca to wish her Happy Birthday and to let her know how we were celebrating and she decided that everyone in the world needed to do something to celebrate. I hope she included herself because she definitely deserves it. Happy Birthday Becca!

Megan said...

Becca's birthday was a nice one. However it must be recorded the infamous Becca saying was talked about. Perhaps this should be it's own entry, but if not, Rebecca will always be known for:

Leave Me Alone

Get Out of My Room

You're Not My Mommy!

What I like best about Becca's birthday is that we get to spend three weeks celebrating on our road trip. Awesome!

kaylene said...

Ahh, Becca, my favorite younger sister. The best memory i can recall has a little something to do with a bran new web cam. It just so happens that when it was placed on top of the computer monitor a quick snapshot frames the office door, and hence the bathroom door. I waited amiably in the office one evening as Becca showered. As soon as she came out i said "cheese!" and got a priceless candid camera shot of becca in her towel. I only wish i could have recorded her outrage audiobly. I then thought of all the imbarassing things i could do to her with it--quite an entertaining thought. In the end, I deleted it with Becca as witness. Becca, i hope you realize how great an act of love that was for you. I deprived myself a lifetime of laughter to prevent further humiliation on your behalf. Although, that doesn't go to say that this little web cam incident isn't repeatable.

Christian said...

Happy birthday. I let Em Dog speak for me on this one.