Monday, June 11, 2012

Dad

What is one of your fondest or funniest memories with Dad? Or if you can't think of a specific experience, just jot down something you love about him. Happy Father's Day Dad!!

6 comments:

Emily Jones said...

To say I love Dad’s fun side is an understatement. He is a blast! And he is a trickster. My fondest moment isn’t of him tricking me though. It’s the time he let me help him do the tricking.

We’d decided to sit down for a game of Rook. Mom and Christian were in the other room finishing up something while Dad and I sat down at the kitchen table. Dad looked at me and said, “Anytime you see a red card, I’d like for you to kick me.”

I was confused. “Wait… what…? So you…?”

He matter-of-factly stated again, “All you need to do is kick me when you see a red card. That’s it.”

“Ok,” I said and then we waited for Mom and Christian to join us. When they came in, Dad said he’d like to demonstrate his telepathic powers for them. He had mom cover his eyes with her hands and he said, “I’m going to use my powers to determine if each card is red or not. If it’s red, I’ll say ‘yes’ and if it’s not I’ll say ‘no’. Ready?”

He flipped over each card. Every time I saw a red card, I kicked him. Every time I kicked him he’d say, “yes”. And every time he said “yes” Christian and Mom were even more astonished. “How are you doing this?” they asked in amazement. I tried to act just as surprised as they were.

At last I couldn’t hold it in. I burst out laughing and Dad joined along. We let them in on our little secret and they almost seemed to roll their eyes. It was priceless.

This simple moment will always be one of my favorites. I think I felt honored that he included me in his trick. I felt excited to see the reactions from Mom and Christian. And I felt happy to have such a fun and cool father-in-law. Joining this family has been such a blessing to me. Dad is a big part of that blessing. I love you Dad!

Christian said...

When Megan and I were Dad and Mom’s only kidlets we slept in the upstairs bedrooms right next to them. You see, they just loved us so much back then they couldn’t stand the thought of being more than a few feet away. As the family grew, Dad and Mom put us in downstairs bedrooms.

One night, while Megan, Darren and I were all cave dwellers, I recall us having a bit of a slumber party in Megan’s room. I was at least 7 years old at the time. For a reason I no longer remember, I decided to leave the camp and journey to the upstairs world and check things out. Due to my inexperience in mischief and innocent nature, I was caught in no time.

After the obligatory exchange of invented needs and consoling or scolding I was expecting to be relocated to the underground holding pens. Dad did something else. With a big smile and that Dad excitement he waved me into the room and said, “come here, you’ve got to see this! It is one of the coolest scenes of any movie.” And with that I was given the Seat of Honor in-between Mom and Dad and treated to Back to the Future, the skateboard chase scene.

After the scene I was sent to bed. When I rejoined Megan and Darren I remember them asking what happened. In wide eyed bewilderment I told them……I got to watch a movie.

It is funny that I still remember this experience. I don’t know if it was because I was given a gift instead of a scolding, or if Back to the Future is just that good. In any case, the clearest part of the memory is Dad’s bright smile and excitement as he shared something really “cool” with his son.

Thanks Dad.

Back to the Future

Darren said...

One thing I love about dad is that he is always ready to play a game.

Growing up I would play basketball in front of the house. I would often be out there when Dad would come home from work. Usually he would get the car in the garage and then before going inside and getting changed he would come shoot around or play a game of horse with me.

I can remember at the Jones reunions that Dad would be the one to gather all the kids around and get us organized into a game.

As I have had opportunity to work with the Youth I am always thinking what would Dad have done in this situation to make it fun.

kaylene said...

I remember dad tripping through the front door carrying groceries and spraining my ankle. Since then I have always been weary of grocery shopping.

Ashlee said...

I have loved playing racquetball with Dad. He lets me get a few good hits in then takes control and destroys me...with his left hand.

I have also enjoyed watching him play and rough-house with Elodie. She loves to play with her Grandpa Jones, and he loves to play too so its a perfect match.

I have honestly never felt awkward or unwanted around Dad ever, even back before I knew he was Darren's Dad or even who Darren was for that matter. Its funny to think I knew Darren's father years before I knew Darren existed at all(side note). In my teenage years Dad would say hi to me at church activities and talk with me like he knew who I was and really cared about my life. I remember thinking to myself at a youth conference just after talking with him, "that man was really friendly, I wonder who he is". Later down the line I figured out who he was (in the stake presidency) and just thought we (the Arapahoe stake) had the kindest most loving stake leaders. He has that kind of personality where people just feel accepted for who they are and feel comfortable to chat and have a good time with him. Dad has a gift of speaking with others where he can make those he is talking with feel important just because he is interested in what they have to say and does care about them as individuals. I have noticed this gift and try emulate it in my own life.

I have always known that Dad loves me even without those exact words being said...it comes through in the words that are not said, in asking questions about my life, listening intently and sharing a funny joke. Its hard to describe in words but its a feeling that just emanates from him, its who he is, a kind, loving, outgoing and friendly person.

Rebecca said...

Some of my favorite memories of Dad growing up were around when we had FHE or Family Prayer and Scripture study. Mostly what I remember is all of us piling on Dad and trying to pin him down. Usually my job was just to keep one arm down - I usually failed. He was also the instigator of many pillow fights in the living room. I'm not sure Mom always approved, but I always remember that the time we spent with Dad as a family was about being together, learning and having a blast.
Now that we're all grown up I don't think that has changed much :)

I love my Dad.