Sunday, October 19, 2008

Primary Sacrament Meeting Program


Today we enjoyed out Primary Sacrament Meeting Program. It brought back memories of watching each of you say your part then trying to catch your eye to let you know we were proud of you. It brought back memories of singing. Some of you were a bit timid and others sang to fill the chapel.

This picture represents my memories growing up in Bismarck Branch. Here our primary is standing in the front of our small chapel. Notice there are no choir seats but just a few chairs for the Branch President and speakers at the front. Grandma is playing the piano, I am next to her, and Aunt Evelyn next to me. This picture also makes me wonder what goofy thing one of us did. You just can't have a Primary program without that moment of pure spontaneous kid-cuteness that steals the show. Primary Sacrament Meetings are sweet times.

Here's your chance to share your childhood memories of The Primary Sacrament Meeting Program. Some of you are serving as Primary leaders now so you could share those experiences too.

8 comments:

Presto said...

hmm. this one may be my lesat interesting entry. for the life of me i cant remember anything special about my primary programs. but to keep with tradition i have posted the first blog on the subject. i will add somthing more full of insight later.

Rebecca said...

I remember working on memorizing my parts for primary programs. Early on, I always loved it and wanted to have the long parts and loved to sing with gusto. Later on, my brothers told me it wasn't cool and after that I tried to pretend I didn't like it. I also distinctly remember Preston making goofy faces at me.

Presto said...

Becca is right about my attempts to make goofy faces. it seams to be somthing i am good at as i still work on it today when my friends go up to the podium for talks and other church activities. Im not the only one who does it though. i still remember my missionary farewell talk where both kaylene and megan were trying their hand at it. so was brother Easton, steffen and nathan. oh what awesome friends and family i have.

Christian said...

Sorry mom, no memories of primary sacrament program. We just had ours today though. Our primary class did well. My favorite moment was when the little boy whose family I home teach was two or three steps behind the sign language song. He was trying so hard.
I guess I do remember one thing from primary programs when we were young. Darren singing/belting out the loudest.

Darren said...

I really can't remember my primary programs. Well I have one memory of when I was a little older and I was sitting on the stand next to Michael Olsen and some girl. I remember we played some game with my glasses while we were up there.

I will tell you a story from the primary program we just had. Ashlee and I teach the sunbeams and we had a primary practice on saturday. We were trying to figure out how to heard our class to the front for their speaking parts and to sing every song. Half the class was in the front row on the stand and the other half was on the second row. One of the kids was getting up to sing and he walked to the center of the stand and there is a little step there. He didn't make it. Before I could catch him he face planted into the corner of the Microphone and podium control box. I felt really bad especially because his dad is the primary chorister and was watching. The next day the kid shows up with a black and blue cheek with some nice scratches in it. He was happy as ever though. I made sure not to let him walk that way anymore. During the program all the kids decided that it would be fun to race to the front of the stand for every song and then race back to their seats again. Every song the sunbeams would bounce into each other but we didn't have any more accidents. On a happier note we didn't have any kids chicken out at the microphone.

Emily Jones said...

I remember that when I was in primary, they always gave me the shortest line. I didn't realize it at the time, but now I know that they always give the shortest lines to the slowest readers. I don't want to talk about it.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you could probably pronounce your "Rs" correctly Emily. Chirstian just reminded me of how weetawded I sounded as a little girl. I loved the Primary Program. I remember sitting up on the stage and reading my little strip of paper over and over to make sure I had all the lines right. Then I would double and trible check to order of peole before me so I wouldn't miss my cue. I could have sworn a flock of butterflies had taken permanent housing in my stomach then. It was amazingly nerve-wracking.

Megan said...

I don't remember much of the primary programs when I was a kid. What I do recall is that I normally had to read something, and that I felt way too old for it, before I actually was. Since I've been in a singles ward for so long, I haven't seen many Primary programs either. However I do recall a Sunday when a primary child certainly stole the show. Many years ago mom was the choir director. This was probably before Kaylene and Rebecca were even born. Dad always sang in the chior, he anchored the bass section. During one sunday that the chior was performing Preston escaped from our row. I am pretty sure this was my fault, but it wasn't easy being in charge. Preston ran up to the stand and over by the organ, which mom played too. I guess he was looking for her, or he was just up to no good. Then, noticing that nobody was on the organ, Preston started walking accross all the pedals, back and forth, back and forth. The organ, of course, was on and the noise was really loud. Everyone was now staring at Preston, wondering when his parents would take care of this problem. However, mom was directing the choir, dad was in the middle of the group. I was seated in the audience and was too mortified of causing more trouble that I didn't move. Eventually, after several laps around the organ pedals, some kind person in the choir grabbed Preston and held on to him until the number was over. I think it is one of the most hilarious Sacrament meeting disturbances I've seen.