When Preston was18 months old he got hit with a rock in the eye. Then, after visiting a eye specialist and being warned not to move much, he fell from the car on his head.
As for the 18 month old accidents, i cant remember them, i wonder why? But the Hammock is still well imbedded into my memory. it was during the weekend of the older kids Prom and after prom. the morning of megan had moved the hammock from one end of the yard to the other to avoid getting wet from the sprinklers. after church and oin the late afternoon, Kaylene, Becca ,and i go nfor a ride on the hammock as it was still new ane totally awesome. we all three jump on and suddenly i get hit by the side support bar as we then fall to the ground and kaylene hits the bottom bar with her face. becca was fine but we were all shakin up. i take the girls inside and kaylene is crying alot. help come and kaylene is the focus as she had a concussion or somthing. I remember being in moms bathroom when becca pointed out a red spot on the back of my hear. ha ha very funny becaca, i have red hair. she was seeing the blood from the gash i got when the support bar hit me in the head earlier. it hurt sure but i had no idea i had a good size cut. she dapps at the wound and pulls back a red finger. then were off the the hospital were i get stitches and have to endur a not powerfull enough dose of numer. now all who see my nike swooosh shaped scar ask what im fell off or what not. i tell them i got in a fight with a hammock and lost.
Thanks for the story Preston. Unfortunatly I don't really remember either of these incidents. I must not have been home or something for the hammok. I remember that it happened but I didn't know the circumstances. I don't remember the rock/eye incident. sorry. I guess I will be relying on everyone else to jog the old memory.
The hammock is made of some very strong and tempered steel that comes in three parts. The base includes a steel pipe with two vertical feet and a small 4 inch incline at each end welded to the base. The two inclines are the reciever pipes for the 2 pipes that hooks onto the hammock ends.
I can only think that the pipes came up some 3 inches when it was moved then sliped off the inclined steel receiver and came crashing on the kids. - The law suit never was filed. Preston, Sharon and I were off to the urgent care facility by the Hospital and they scrubed the wound, shaved his head, then stitched up the wound. The doctor thought there might possible be a scar but thought it would be covered with hair and not noticed. Such are the battle scars of youth. We have since drilled a hole through the two steel pipes on both sides and put a bolt through it. I don't think it will come apart again.
The eye accident: the kids were outside playing when Megan came in and told us Preston was hurt. I looked out and he looked fint to me but Megan insisted we go look at him. We noticed the kids were throwing rocks (more like pebles) and Preston's white of the eye was red. This looked very bad so I asked how this happened and particularly if he had been hit by one of the pebles. Nobody could imagine that happening and the source of the injury remained a mystery. Sharon and I took off in the van with Preston to the doctor's office. The doctor dialated his eye and did some examination do determin the eye was fine. They told us to just monitor his activity and keep him from hiting his head or anything that would bump his eye. We were very relieved and took off home. When Preston was getting out of the back of the van, the dialated eye was a factor in his tripping and falling from the van to the cement driveway and landing on his head. We returned back to the doctor's office. This time they took a lot of time examining him and calling Social Services and other family doctors to see if we had a hisotry of abuse in our home. A couple of hours later they released Preston into the save and loving custody of his parents. We did not let him walk until he was on carpet.
It was a Sunday. I was Ward Choir director and choir was at our house. This meant there were lots of kids in the back yard playing while the adults were in the living room singing. Megan came in and told us Preston was hurt. I can't remember exactly what my response was but I think we comforted him and put him to bed. Meanwhile choir continued. It wasn't until the next morning when Preston woke up that I saw his eye was full of blood. This is when we took him to an eye specialist at the hospital. They examined him and said there probably wasn't any permanent damage but that we would have to keep him very still so the eye didn't start bleeding again.
With all the tests Preston's eyes were very dialated but I didn't remember that when I opened the sliding door of the van, reached out my arms to Preston, and asked him to come to me. I was very pregnant with Kaylene at the time so it was an ackward reach. Preston stepped out of the van but not toward me. He fell on his head on the cement floor of the garage. We immediately raced him back to the hospital. Now we had a possible concussion and an eye injury. The whole attitude at the hospital was different this time. We were suspects of child abuse. Luckily we had very good relations with our pediatrician who strongly vouched for Harold and I. We were allowed to bring Preston home. His eye did heal well and he suffered no side effects. (See those big blue eyes in the pictures)
Harold descirbed the accident the same way I remember it, though I probably have thought about it more often. Every time I've given Preston a hair cut since then, the "Nike Swooosh" scar is factored in.
I only remember the hammock accident. All three of us jumped on the hammock at once and because Megan had moved it earlier, the posts were loose and swung inside. Kaylene and I just rolled out but the pole smacked Preston right on the head. It was pretty cool. I don't think I knew enough to be all that worried and Preston took it in stride.
Now I haven’t been in the family for very long. But as long as I have, Preston has had red hair. I wasn’t around when he was a kid but here is my guess how it happened… Travel back with me now to Valentine’s Day in 1988. Mom always baked cookies for the neighbors on Valentine’s Day. Preston always helped her bake and frost them. On this Valentine’s Day, mom had just pulled the cookies out of the oven. The aroma was too much for Preston to bear. All he wanted was just one little cookie. Is that too much to ask for? But when he reached to grab one, mom told him he had to wait for the cookies to cool. He was sooo hungry. While mom made the frosting, Preston could hardly stand it. It was torture. But…all in one moment, Preston’s dreams came true. The phone rang and Mom went to answer it, leaving Preston all alone with only his appetite and imagination. Now was Preston’s chance. He hustled to grab a cookie. It was still warm. He dipped it in the frosting and everything seemed perfect… everything except that the frosting was white. Now you can see how this a problem, right? Valentine’s Day cookies are always pink or red. He knew it wouldn’t taste right if the frosting wasn’t the right color. But it was a simple problem really. He had helped mom do this plenty of times before. All he had to do was drink the bottle of red potion sitting next to the white frosting. He was sure it would taste delicious. And with that, he popped the cookies into his mouth and guzzled down half the bottle of red food coloring. I’m sure he started to twitch. As the food coloring came to the surface of his skin, he felt a tingle. This was amazing! This was better than a roller coaster! This was delicious! His hair started turning red. “Pweston? Me want one?” He looked down. Kaylene had entered the room. He knew if he didn’t share, she would soon be in tears and his fun would all be over. The only thing he could do was shove a cookie in her mouth and the rest of the bottle of food coloring. And as we all know… the food coloring had the same effect on Kaylene. And that is the true story of how Preston and Kaylene got their red hair.
Let's set the record straight. I am responsible for both of Preston's accidents. The first one was during chori practice. I was supposed to be in charge of all the kids there and went out to check on them. They were all throwing rocks by the swing set into the garden. I yelled at them to stop because that is what the person in charge does, but then it looked fun. So I threw a rock too. Unfortunately Preston had heard me yelling so he turned around from the top of the elephant slide. And my rock hit him in the eye. He strated to cry and I carried him inside to dad. I tried to explain that he "got hit" in the eye, but you couldn't see anything wrong through all the tears and dad said to just put him to bed. My protests that he needed more help didn't seem to be noticed. When they went to check on him later, his eye was all bloody and they rushed him to the hospital. I didn't cop up to being the one throwing the rock for years.
The second one is also my fault. I had moved the hammock from one part of the grass to another. I had to drag it because there wasn't anyone one around to help me. I pushed the poles to make sure that they were all set. Not too much after I had enjoyed the hammock Preston, Kaylene, and Rebecca came and leaped into the hammock. Apparently the force of the three people landing on the hammock at once pushed the poles inward and one whacked preston upside the head. His scar is one I personally admire.
Preston was not hit with a rock. He was standing over my crib doing some very intelluctually insulting baby-talk when i finally had had enough. I looked up with him with my big eyes, smiled, and pulled out a lethal foam dart. I shot him before he could even blink. The dart and I have been good friends ever since.
I don't remember much about either of these accidents, however I do remember how amazing Preston's hair was. It used to stand straight up all the time. It didn't seem to matter how long it got. Once when he was getting a hair cut we decided to shave half and make a fun video of it. so... we did. The end.
11 comments:
As for the 18 month old accidents, i cant remember them, i wonder why? But the Hammock is still well imbedded into my memory. it was during the weekend of the older kids Prom and after prom. the morning of megan had moved the hammock from one end of the yard to the other to avoid getting wet from the sprinklers. after church and oin the late afternoon, Kaylene, Becca ,and i go nfor a ride on the hammock as it was still new ane totally awesome. we all three jump on and suddenly i get hit by the side support bar as we then fall to the ground and kaylene hits the bottom bar with her face. becca was fine but we were all shakin up. i take the girls inside and kaylene is crying alot. help come and kaylene is the focus as she had a concussion or somthing. I remember being in moms bathroom when becca pointed out a red spot on the back of my hear. ha ha very funny becaca, i have red hair. she was seeing the blood from the gash i got when the support bar hit me in the head earlier. it hurt sure but i had no idea i had a good size cut. she dapps at the wound and pulls back a red finger. then were off the the hospital were i get stitches and have to endur a not powerfull enough dose of numer. now all who see my nike swooosh shaped scar ask what im fell off or what not. i tell them i got in a fight with a hammock and lost.
Thanks for the story Preston. Unfortunatly I don't really remember either of these incidents. I must not have been home or something for the hammok. I remember that it happened but I didn't know the circumstances. I don't remember the rock/eye incident. sorry. I guess I will be relying on everyone else to jog the old memory.
The hammock is made of some very strong and tempered steel that comes in three parts. The base includes a steel pipe with two vertical feet and a small 4 inch incline at each end welded to the base. The two inclines are the reciever pipes for the 2 pipes that hooks onto the hammock ends.
I can only think that the pipes came up some 3 inches when it was moved then sliped off the inclined steel receiver and came crashing on the kids. - The law suit never was filed. Preston, Sharon and I were off to the urgent care facility by the Hospital and they scrubed the wound, shaved his head, then stitched up the wound. The doctor thought there might possible be a scar but thought it would be covered with hair and not noticed. Such are the battle scars of youth.
We have since drilled a hole through the two steel pipes on both sides and put a bolt through it. I don't think it will come apart again.
The eye accident:
the kids were outside playing when Megan came in and told us Preston was hurt. I looked out and he looked fint to me but Megan insisted we go look at him. We noticed the kids were throwing rocks (more like pebles) and Preston's white of the eye was red. This looked very bad so I asked how this happened and particularly if he had been hit by one of the pebles. Nobody could imagine that happening and the source of the injury remained a mystery. Sharon and I took off in the van with Preston to the doctor's office. The doctor dialated his eye and did some examination do determin the eye was fine. They told us to just monitor his activity and keep him from hiting his head or anything that would bump his eye. We were very relieved and took off home. When Preston was getting out of the back of the van, the dialated eye was a factor in his tripping and falling from the van to the cement driveway and landing on his head.
We returned back to the doctor's office. This time they took a lot of time examining him and calling Social Services and other family doctors to see if we had a hisotry of abuse in our home. A couple of hours later they released Preston into the save and loving custody of his parents. We did not let him walk until he was on carpet.
Dad
Case #1 The Eye Accident
It was a Sunday. I was Ward Choir director and choir was at our house. This meant there were lots of kids in the back yard playing while the adults were in the living room singing. Megan came in and told us Preston was hurt. I can't remember exactly what my response was but I think we comforted him and put him to bed. Meanwhile choir continued. It wasn't until the next morning when Preston woke up that I saw his eye was full of blood. This is when we took him to an eye specialist at the hospital. They examined him and said there probably wasn't any permanent damage but that we would have to keep him very still so the eye didn't start bleeding again.
With all the tests Preston's eyes were very dialated but I didn't remember that when I opened the sliding door of the van, reached out my arms to Preston, and asked him to come to me. I was very pregnant with Kaylene at the time so it was an ackward reach. Preston stepped out of the van but not toward me. He fell on his head on the cement floor of the garage. We immediately raced him back to the hospital. Now we had a possible concussion and an eye injury. The whole attitude at the hospital was different this time. We were suspects of child abuse. Luckily we had very good relations with our pediatrician who strongly vouched for Harold and I. We were allowed to bring Preston home. His eye did heal well and he suffered no side effects. (See those big blue eyes in the pictures)
Case #2 The Hammock Accident
Harold descirbed the accident the same way I remember it, though I probably have thought about it more often. Every time I've given Preston a hair cut since then, the "Nike Swooosh" scar is factored in.
I only remember the hammock accident. All three of us jumped on the hammock at once and because Megan had moved it earlier, the posts were loose and swung inside. Kaylene and I just rolled out but the pole smacked Preston right on the head. It was pretty cool. I don't think I knew enough to be all that worried and Preston took it in stride.
Now I haven’t been in the family for very long. But as long as I have, Preston has had red hair. I wasn’t around when he was a kid but here is my guess how it happened…
Travel back with me now to Valentine’s Day in 1988. Mom always baked cookies for the neighbors on Valentine’s Day. Preston always helped her bake and frost them. On this Valentine’s Day, mom had just pulled the cookies out of the oven. The aroma was too much for Preston to bear. All he wanted was just one little cookie. Is that too much to ask for? But when he reached to grab one, mom told him he had to wait for the cookies to cool. He was sooo hungry. While mom made the frosting, Preston could hardly stand it. It was torture.
But…all in one moment, Preston’s dreams came true. The phone rang and Mom went to answer it, leaving Preston all alone with only his appetite and imagination. Now was Preston’s chance. He hustled to grab a cookie. It was still warm. He dipped it in the frosting and everything seemed perfect… everything except that the frosting was white. Now you can see how this a problem, right? Valentine’s Day cookies are always pink or red. He knew it wouldn’t taste right if the frosting wasn’t the right color. But it was a simple problem really. He had helped mom do this plenty of times before. All he had to do was drink the bottle of red potion sitting next to the white frosting. He was sure it would taste delicious. And with that, he popped the cookies into his mouth and guzzled down half the bottle of red food coloring. I’m sure he started to twitch. As the food coloring came to the surface of his skin, he felt a tingle. This was amazing! This was better than a roller coaster! This was delicious! His hair started turning red.
“Pweston? Me want one?” He looked down. Kaylene had entered the room. He knew if he didn’t share, she would soon be in tears and his fun would all be over. The only thing he could do was shove a cookie in her mouth and the rest of the bottle of food coloring. And as we all know… the food coloring had the same effect on Kaylene. And that is the true story of how Preston and Kaylene got their red hair.
Let's set the record straight. I am responsible for both of Preston's accidents. The first one was during chori practice. I was supposed to be in charge of all the kids there and went out to check on them. They were all throwing rocks by the swing set into the garden. I yelled at them to stop because that is what the person in charge does, but then it looked fun. So I threw a rock too. Unfortunately Preston had heard me yelling so he turned around from the top of the elephant slide. And my rock hit him in the eye. He strated to cry and I carried him inside to dad. I tried to explain that he "got hit" in the eye, but you couldn't see anything wrong through all the tears and dad said to just put him to bed. My protests that he needed more help didn't seem to be noticed. When they went to check on him later, his eye was all bloody and they rushed him to the hospital. I didn't cop up to being the one throwing the rock for years.
The second one is also my fault. I had moved the hammock from one part of the grass to another. I had to drag it because there wasn't anyone one around to help me. I pushed the poles to make sure that they were all set. Not too much after I had enjoyed the hammock Preston, Kaylene, and Rebecca came and leaped into the hammock. Apparently the force of the three people landing on the hammock at once pushed the poles inward and one whacked preston upside the head. His scar is one I personally admire.
Preston was not hit with a rock. He was standing over my crib doing some very intelluctually insulting baby-talk when i finally had had enough. I looked up with him with my big eyes, smiled, and pulled out a lethal foam dart. I shot him before he could even blink. The dart and I have been good friends ever since.
I don't remember much about either of these accidents, however I do remember how amazing Preston's hair was. It used to stand straight up all the time. It didn't seem to matter how long it got. Once when he was getting a hair cut we decided to shave half and make a fun video of it. so... we did. The end.
Post a Comment